Headphone Equalizer Repair

 

Here is a quick post about a repair I did for my headphones. I have an older set of Arctis 5 gaming headphones that have begun to show their age. Last year I replaced the earphone cups, but in the past months I've noticed that the insulation on the USB cable had begun degrading; now it's at a point where the insulation is pretty much falling apart.



I decided to replace the cable with a female USB device port, so that I could use any cable I wanted with it in the future. I disassembled the module, and was pleased to see that there were 4 pads where I could easily solder leads for a new USB port. Although, these pads were buried under a gummy layer of epoxy that I needed to use some alcohol and hot air to remove!

I decided to use a USB-C connector, since we had a few breakout boards like this in stock in the maker lab. I soldered wires from the four pads on the module to the appropriate pads on the little dongle, but when I plugged the module into a USB-C port on my PC or my phone, the module never powered up. It would only power up if I used a USB-A to USB-C cable to attach the module to a USB-A port on my PC! My fancy new laptop only has newfangled USB-C ports, so this means that I would need an adapter. A micro-usb breakout board functioned as intended and I was tempted to simply leave the device as such, but a very wise person at the maker lab suggested that the problem might be that I was missing configuration registers.

At this point, it's time for a quick refresher on some USB fundamentals. The USB 2.0 physical layer uses 4 wires: +5V and GND for power, and then a pair of differential data wires called D+ and D-. D- is always the inverse of D+, so it's easy to reconstruct the serial data stream by simply subracting D+ from D-. USB devices place resistors in the D+ and D- that are sampled by the host (e.g. your computer) when the device (e.g. a mouse) is plugged in, and the configuration resistors tell the host whether the device would like to use High-speed communication, or Low-speed communication. I knew about these, and these were the configuration resistors that I initially thought my friend had been talking about.

Well dear reader, it turns out that times had changed since the last time I studied the USB physical specification. USB 3.0 introduced the USB-C connector, which brought with it a raft of new features related to device charging. USB C connectors introduce (amongst a lot more serial data pins for ludicrous transfer speeds) Configuration Channel pins. These pins help two connected USB-C ports decide which one will supply power (called the source), and which port will consume power (the sink). A connected Sink device should connect its CC pins

The USB specification explains how this works in Chapter 3.5. Specifically, section 3.5.7 explains how the USB C receptacle should be wired up:



The breakout board is missing the CC resistors, so from the point of view of my PC (the Source port) there was no device attached (Section 4.5.1.2.1).

I tried to push my fine-pitch soldering skills to the limit by retroactively adding two tiny SMD resistors to the breakout board, but this was far too fragile without appropriate pads. Instead, I purchased some breakout boards from Amazon. A link is in the 'references' section in case you would like to upgrade some of your USB 2.0 devices to USB C ports.

Modeling

Since the breakout board was too large to fit in the equalizer knob enclosure, I designed an extension that could attach to the knob enclosure and 3D printed it. The final result came out pretty nicely! I used a pair of countersunk M3x14mm screws and nuts to keep the extension closed, and support the breakout board. You can download the model for yourself!

 



References and Product Links

Penglin 10 pieces USB C breakout board

USB Type-C Spec R2.0 - August 2019_0.pdf

https://github.com/private-boolean/arctis5-usb-housing 

 

 



Comments